In addition to our certificated operator courses, we offer specific training course tailored to supervisors responsible for management of employees using woodworking machinery in industrial and educational environments. Workshop supervisors are an integral part of the management team and it is essential that they are aware of their health and safety responsibilities.
WHAT ARE THE LEGAL REQUIREMENTS FOR SUPERVISOR TRAINING?
Supervisor training is essential. The law, as set out in the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER98) states that anyone who manages or supervises the use of work equipment must receive adequate training.
Regulation 9 of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (2) Every employer shall ensure that any of his employees who supervises or manages the use of work equipment has received adequate training for purposes of health and safety, including training in the methods which may be adopted when using the work equipment, any risks which such use may entail and precautions to be taken.
WHAT IS A SUPERVISOR RESPONSIBLE FOR?
Recent accident investigations by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have highlighted that supervisors can be unaware of their responsibilities. Workshop supervisors have key responsibilities and are a vital link in the chain of control. It is the supervisors responsibility to ensure that;
- Workers are properly supervised for safety and act in a safe manner
- Workers and operators are properly trained
- Company health and safety rules are being adhered to
- Everyone working or entering the workshop are aware of the hazards
- All equipment is inspected, suitably guarded, safe to use and PUWER compliant
- Operators are using the appropriate safety devices (push sticks, jigs etc.)
- Workers and operators are not exposed to hazardous substances
- The correct PPE is available and in use where required
- All working areas are kept clear, tidy and free of unnecessary hazards
- Everyone entering the workshop understands emergency procedures
- Appropriate action is taken following a near miss or accident
WHY CHOOSE DALTONS WADKIN?
Daltons Wadkin are the longest established woodworking machine suppliers in the UK and have been providing industry led training for over 15 years, continually honing the courses to meet both customer and legal requirements.
As a PIABC Quality Assured training provider we offer certificated courses for novice and new learners, as well as refresher and supervisor courses covering all types and makes of woodworking machinery. We cover all areas of the UK, Ireland and further afield.
The Daltons Wadkin ‘red team’ of dedicated woodworking machine trainers each have a minimum of 10 years time served experience within the industry. All of our trainers hold a formal qualification in teaching and accessing. Our unique, industry leading training material is continually updated to ensure any changes and updates in legislation are covered.
But don’t just take our word for it.
“An excellent session which was tailored to suit our needs and the experience of those attending”.
Walter Thompson Ltd
“The training received was to a very high standard with machines and regulations explained and demonstrated in detail”.
Port of Blyth
Contact us to discuss your training requirements
“All trainees were very pleased. An excellent course and will definitely use Daltons Wadkin again”.
Pendle Vale College