History of Elcon
In one of the wooden sheds of a small-sized shipyard in Hollands green-hearted lake district, still very near Elcon’s present location, the first sawing machine saw the light in the year 1948. It was the result of the need to work timber for deck-houses at the one hand and the post-war lack of machinery on the other.
The moment a neighbouring carpenter caught a glimpse of this remarkable piece of work, his interest was roused, and subsequently a new industry was born.
The two brothers Gerard and Frans Meijer, started to produce a wide variety of woodworking machines, ranging from circular saws, moulders and thicknessers to planers, tenonners, etc.
Soon production had grown such that it was necessary to move into a new building in 1953. In subsequent years further enlargements had to be realised, until in 1995 the growth of the activities forced the construction of a completely new and modern building at the newly developed industrial estate near Amsterdam Airport.
The first vertical panel-sawing machine, now Elcon’s sole product, was developed in 1971. Although some of these first models are still in daily use in workshops, they look rather old-fashioned compared to today’s range of sophisticated machinery.
By the end of the 1980’s, the next generation Piet and Pieter Meijer had taken over the management tasks of both their fathers.
Today, still in the ownership of the Meijer family, the company work through a world-wide network of high profile distributors. With this international partnership functioning as a Taskforce for new developments, Elcon have built up an enviable reputation for innovation and design enabling them to occupy a position at the very forefront of the industry sector.